Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Difference between Schwinn Voyageur and Fuji S-12S ride quality/efficiency

I will finally bite the bullet next year, and start riding my late 80's Schwinn Voyageur (with modern components) on the gravel and crushed stone rail trails I usually ride, since I think my gut will no longer be an issue. This will be a treat, since the bike has about 10 miles on it since I bought it 5 or 6 years ago, and it is still in very nice shape... I hope for a little efficiency gain from the hybrids I have been riding.

I also have a Fuji S-12S that I have never ridden since I bought it at a garage sale. Since it has been decades since I have ridden a classic sports/tourer, I am curious about whether I would feel a difference between the two bikes, assuming similar wheels (sturdy 36 spoke wheels) and tires (Panaracer Pasela TGs).

I am especially thinking about gaining some efficiency when I am on paved roads, such as a metric century, charity ride, etc.

Would a casual cyclist even feel the difference between two vintage framed bikes if one was a touring frame and the other was a sports/touring frame?

I have put a Technomic stem on my Voyageur, but may stay with the stock on the S-12S for a more aero position.

This info will help me to pick my winter project.

On a somewhat related issue. Is there a noticeable difference in ride/feel between the Pasela TG and non-TG tires?

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson