Old 08-30-19, 12:02 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
I have a pretty well-tuned dog interpreter function-- I can tell right quick what a dog's intention is when it starts running after me. Some are just in it for the chase, One out of maybe 50 has a genuine desire-- a recent one was definitely serious, because he didn't even bark, just came out of the driveway full tilt. But he was a novice, and didn't know how to cover the distance and plan the angle at the same time-- they don't lead a target very well, so most dogs are running toward where I am, not where I'm going to be. So by the time he got up to speed, I already had a ~50 foot lead on him. Had he been more experienced, he would have gotten some eye sockets full of Glacier Cherry Gatorade. I've only had a dog get close enough to get the water bottle once.

I think the problem here in suburbia is self sorting. I ride the same routes many, many times, and don't think I've ever been chased by the same dog more than twice. They either figure not to bother, their owners manage to lock 'em up, or they try the same tactic with a car and it doesn't end well.