Old 09-24-04, 11:08 AM
Figaro
Fortunatissimo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??
Please tell us your age.

59 years old

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

My main ride ride is a new, black Mondonico Futura Leggero with Campy Centaur. My beater is an old Club Fuji six-speed. My old ride was a 1999 Schwinn Supersport which was wrecked when I was hot by a car 7 months ago.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

I have always taken a high-quality, vegetarian multi from the health food store. I take an extra 1000 mgs of Vitamin C daily. In the flu and cold season I take Echinacea and Goldenseal. I also take saw palmetto as advised by my urologist.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I have not slowed down. After years in classrooms and offices, I have become an outdoor person in retirement. I have become more active and fit than ever before.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

I have been biking on and off for 35 years. About 5 years ago, I started my most serious period of cycling.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

I do mostly long training rides and commuting.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I cycle 5 days a week for an annual total of about 7,500 miles. This year will be a lot less because I could not ride at all for 5 months due to a broken leg from being hit by a car.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

In addition to cycling, I surf and practice yoga. I teach four yoga classes a week and sub as a spin teacher a few times a month. While I was laid up with the broken leg, I couldn't do any lower body workout, so I started to work out with weights again in the upper body. It was really great to get back to lifting.