ACHiPo 

Bikes: Trek 903, BMC Amp X 02, Criterion Pro Tour

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by t2p
currently have Terra Speeds on three bikes - and GK SS on two bikes

recommended them - both seem to roll fairly well … Terra Speed can provide better grip on some surfaces due to the knobs

Terra Speed provides good grip and rolls very well on pavement - despite being a knobbed tire … there are few (if any ?) tires with knobs of the same size that roll that well

Terra Speed can run a tad small - 35’s can be around 33-34 mm mounted - the 40’s can be close to 38mm mounted

GK SS does not roll as well as GK slick (GK slick is basically a road tire) - but still rolls well and has side knobs (sort of), thicker tread, and is more puncture resistant

GK sizing can vary - 32’s were around 31mm mounted , 35’s around 37mm mounted, can’t recall size of the 38’s mounted … Panaracer apparently changed some of the GK sizing not too long ago - ? - something to consider when comparing tire sizes

if you are into color - GK’s in some sizes are offered in different colors

also have some other similar 700c and 650b tires including S Works Pathfinders, Tufo Speedero, Compass / Rene Herse - but have not had opportunity to try them (have Compass / Rene Herse on 26” bikes though)

can sometimes find a sale / good price on Terra Speed on Bike Tires Direct (BTD) or Bike Closet - and sometimes on eBay
Just discovered there is a Terra Speed Protect. Found a good price, but no idea if it is equivalent to a regular Terra Speed? Think I’m gonna set a target price and 3-4 acceptable tires (Conti Terra Speed TR, Panaracer Gravelking SS, Tufo Thundero, ?) and pull the trigger when I see one for the right price.

Lots of good stuff here. Thanks. This is what I was looking for. I’m still amazed how many variants there are for the “same” tire, and how different the performance can be.

Last edited by ACHiPo; 12-12-23 at 08:37 AM.