Old 12-13-17, 05:34 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
My guess is that the rationale for charging more to Cat 1s is because there is generally more money on the line in each race, so there is more perceived incentive to try to boost performance through synthetic means than someone chasing a $50 purse.
Given that 99% of races are P1/2, then C2's should be paying the surcharge as well if that's the rationale. And 3's should pony up in 1/2/3 races. But who knows what the rationale is, because USAC ain't saying.

I'm sure it was mostly Cat 1 racers who were complaining about drug use in the amateur ranks in any case .

Originally Posted by mattm
And how do you guys square this (raising USAC license fees for everyone) with getting more people in to the sport?
More than a little bit of cognitive dissonance there Matty.

$25 obviously isn't driving you out of the sport anymore than $10 more per license for drug testing (which would create a bigger fund if that's what you're after) would have people going "oh helllllll no".

As you pointed out, your shoe (singular) cost more than your license. Go pick a Cat 5 at random and do the math on the equipment inventory. Entry level racers aren't a different economic profile than Cat 1's.

Or just go into Starbucks before a race and count Cat 4/5 lattes.

You have made that point over and over again in this thread. And really the problem isn't getting people into the sport. It's the absolutely dismal retention rate. So naturally let's charge the people who raced the most and are your best customers more?

If dope testing is so important, how do you square this with NOT raising fees on everyone? Isn't a cleaner sport going to attract more racers?

Originally Posted by Doge
Anyone know of a Cat 1 non-master/non junior that has been busted?
Yeah. A bunch as well, probably way disproportionate to the number of non Cat 1 non master tests if you wanted to run the numbers.

Personally I could give a flying **** if they test everyone or no one at this point. I've yet to line up and think "well thanks be to USAC, we have a clean field today!"

If folks are happy with a costly anti-litter campaign that picks up every 15th piece of garbage, and hands out "I don't litter!" buttons to people who just dumped an old sofa in the park, whatever.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 12-13-17 at 09:29 PM.