View Single Post
Old 07-14-19, 08:07 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by jimc101
If the wheels (hubs) are smooth running now, would question why there is a need to open them up at all.
Here's my completely unscientific statistics, since I've refurbished more than a dozen old bikes. If a bike has 8 bearings, and each one has a 5% chance of needing service, then it's almost a coin toss whether the bike will have at least one bearing in trouble. This rough guess is borne out in my experience with old bikes. And I've not found any way to guess from looking at the bike from the outside. I just received a really decrepit old Schwinn frame, and the bearings were all in perfect shape, ready to ride. On bikes left outdoors, the BB is often trashed, as it's basically a sump for everything that gets into the frame.

Heck, the same rule even applies to new bikes if the dealer hasn't opened up the bearings themselves. People in this forum have reported missing lubrication on new bikes.

Now, since the OP mentioned that the bike is for their daughter, it's time for my regular public service message: Get her involved in the work if she isn't already.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 07-14-19 at 08:17 AM.
Likes For Gresp15C: