Old 07-21-19, 10:15 PM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Short answer to your question, "I'm always wondering, do the flares really make a difference? My gravel bike is really more of a do it all bike, shod with file treads, blocks, or slicks, depending on my mood....so while doing it all, flares or no flares?"

Depends, if you are comfortable, confident, and have total control that and you are happy with what you have, stick with what you have..
I am. I ride the drops now, pretty regularly, and have for years...I think it's the roadie in me. That said, I cannot shake the feeling at certain points, especially when railing downhill on a winding maintenance road at 50km+, that wider position on the drops might add just a bit more stability and control. I appreciate the advice on the brifter set up. I have a set of Spec'd Hover Flares coming (12° flare, and appear to be about 2cm wider, 4cm total, at the ends), and it's clear that I'll need to do some experimentation to get the right position for the controls. Thanks!