Old 08-12-19, 11:58 AM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I keep nothing in my car, not even spare change. Thieves sneak around the housing developments at night with spring loaded car window punches and clean up. They make less noise than using a hammer plus it's quicker. Thieves broke out 28 car windows in one night last year in the 2 developments next to me. We have cameras & motion detection security lights, driveway lights up like a prison yard long before they can get to the cars. Most car parts places sell the Key Chain Escape tool for $12 so not a capitol expense for thieves though they probably shoplift them.

I have a 1-UP and use U-bolts & heavy duty cables. I always pass one of the cables through the car frame, 1-UP locks aren't all that good, a rock coming off the road broke the head off one of mine at the hitch mount making it useless. Anybody with a hammer to break the head off & the right tool to loosen it can get one off in less and a minute, maybe a couple if loaded with bikes. My theory if they want it, they will get it. I just make it look so hard & time consuming to get off with multiple locks & cables they will pass it by. Yea it's a PITA but has worked so far.

Back in the 70's somebody stole a whole rack of bikes off the UNC campus. Theory was they backed a roll back wrecker up to it and pulled the entire rack bikes & all onto the truck and were gone before anybody saw them. If there is a will, there is a way.