Old 10-08-18, 05:25 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Anyone else doing the flat, flat, flat Seagull Century this weekend?....

The other husband does triathlons, has a time trail bike and bikes to work most days - he and I will do the full century. I told him to do his own pace and not worry if I became a small dot in his rear view mirror...
Nice ride report. I have cycled in the mid-Atlantic states only once, a self-guided tour of the DelMarVa peninsula, and I would like to explore further, especially on an organized ride. On that trip (by car to the venue) we did stop at Assateague and Ocean City.

You may recall we corresponded recently about your planned trip to Michigan, a well-known cycling haunt for me.

I especially noted the above comment about riding together:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I have ridden as a solo rider on a few charity centuries, and a few self-supported ones...A basic advice I keep in mind during the century is Ride my own pace,” in particular not too fast at the beginning, and ride the entire route at a pace comfortable for me.

Even when I pick up with another rider, I make it clear that’s my rule if our paces are not compatible.

Another strategy on charity rides done by myself, is to start early and perhaps be picked up by a group riding at a suitable pace and ask to draft with them. That adds a kick to my pace, but quite often I fall slightly behind at turning a corner, and its amazing how a slight drop behind can be impossible to catch-up, attesting to the value of drafting.

Also, you might catch-up to a slightly slower rider and draft him/her, and they could reciprocate, synergizing both of you. But always, Ride your own pace.”