DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
With a very small asterisk at the side, every internet forum is the same*:
1. You will have a small core group of members that have been on it for a long time, some for a really long time. They've seen every question asked a hundred times.
2. You will inevitably have a contingent of guys who just want to troll every thread. Some are very "good" at it... some are not.
3. You will have a steady/surging influx of noobs, who either come armed with earnest inquiry, or are cast-outs from other forums #2 , because they aren't very good at it.
4. You will have bots and spammers.

Group 3 will either transition into a 1, or a 2, or leave altogether. Sadly, disappearing as quickly as they appeared is the most common.
This is the fourth (maybe fifth?) forum I've moderated on since I joined my first forum, oh... yeesh, over 20 years ago? In that time, I have arrived at my First Rule of Forums:

All forums become the same, because whenever you gather together people of similar interests, they will argue.

*The exception is a Gran Turismo Online Racing forum I joined around 2000-- long, long before online racing actually existed.
We raced by gentleman's rules, and it was the most laid-back and cooperative forum I've ever known. It exists now only in the Internet Archive.