Old 06-07-20, 01:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
BTW, avoid taking prednisone long term if you can avoid it. You won't like the effects. Neither will family and friends. It tends to cause 'roid rage, particularly in older men.

I was in health care for years, including as a caregiver for three older family members. And I've chatted with other caregivers. A common theme was the negative side effect of long term prednisone on older men taking it for COPD and related uses. It was particularly bad with my granddad and a former neighbor. The neighbor was a good guy when I first met him, pretty mellow. But he was a heavy smoker, couldn't or wouldn't stop or cut back, and ended up on prednisone and portable oxygen for COPD. He got to be a handful of chronic anger for his caregiver, apartment complex manager, postmaster, pretty much everyone who caught his ire.

I've only taken it for a week at a time, years apart. Mostly recently in winter 2018. Got a shot of the stuff in the arm at the ER (hurt like hell for about 15 minutes), and the usual 5-day oral course. No problems. But long term use can be tricky. My docs won't prescribe it unless absolutely necessary due to my auto immune disorder with premature bone density loss and other issues. The nasal and bronchial inhalers seem to work pretty well.
Likes For canklecat: