View Single Post
Old 08-08-20, 06:19 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Our family plans got rained out this afternoon, so we had to come up with some alternatives. After dinner, it had mostly stopped raining, though it was still windy and cool. The wife wanted to take the kids out to pick up desserts and then I had the bright idea of taking them over to a viewing area at the airport to eat said desserts and watch some planes.

I had happened across the viewing area while on the bike ride today and thought that the kids would get a kick out of it; it's just a mile-long access road that leads to 15-20 parking spaces and a couple picnic tables, but it's close to the some of the action. I was right - the boy, in particular, was bouncing all over the place. In our time there, we saw two planes land and another 8-10 take off, mostly medium-sized passenger jets. I think that we lucked out with the wind direction, too - the runway closest to us had the headwind, so a lot were taxiing over to take off from it.
There is a restaurant right on the runway of an airport here. You can watch the planes and listen to the tower with headphones at the booths. It's WW1 themed and in the waiting area you can hear a squad leader briefing his pilots for the day's mission behind a locked door. Outside it looks like an old French Chateau and there are military vehicles rusting away.
Likes For big john: