cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
i advocate "car-light" myself ... but the die-hard here aren't satisfied,.. the explain how with insurance costs, and needing to start the car periodically to keep the battery charged ... whatever ... I might have driven twice all year, but I am glad Ihave the car.
This guy .... he Uses his truck, why shouldn't he keep it. it fills roles that a bike simpkly couldn't.

I can see an argument when people who live in certain select lifestyles actually could get by just as well with mass transit and a bike ... but some people actually own, and use their vehicles.

Food delivery would certainly look a lot different without cars ... i don't mean take-out, i mean replacing the semi-trailers which haul dozens of tons of food around to the outlets where we don't even realize how privileged we are to be able to buy it so easily ... on our bikes, looking down our noses at the the truck driver who delivered the food ... because he drove to the store.
Can you quote all these "diehards"? He asked how he could do the trip without a truck and people gave him some ideas, but nobody told him he had to do it. It was his thread, and he asked for responses and he got them . Nobody is forcing him to post here - he seems to have a weird need to.
Originally Posted by prj71
If I was living car free, how would I accomplish this journey in 9 days and carry all the gear I need for my vacation?