Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by highstream
@psimet Your comment is out of line. Would you please move on.
Yeah, you read something into my comment that wasn't there. This is a forum so it's not about insulating yourself from what you may not want to hear but I'll try this again with other language.

The gross installation error - isn't a commentary but rather a statement. Meaning you could have issues if something went completely wrong with how the pedals were installed or how the cleat was installed. I didn't say you installed them in a gross manner. An installation issue could theoretically cause them to be more difficult to clip into and out of (say if you used under the cleat shims and they were catching on the pedal) but it is highly unlikely. Therefore the error would have to be a large/gross one.

The road pedals comment: unless I misread it (which is possible) you specifically stated you had a lot of years of riding spd/mtb 2 bolt style cleat/pedal systems. The two styles of pedals are different enough that I have found those that have no problem with 2 bolt systems simply find 3 bolt systems extremely difficult or non-intuitive. All I was implying was that you just might be one of those people. Apologies if you found that to be offensive.

Having had more pedals than I care to remember and having had both Ultegra and 550's on various bikes and personally I have never noticed a difference. Then again I have been riding 3 bolt (road cleats) since the late 80's so I may not even perceive a difference in tension that may seem immense to you. But in general I would say they both are similar to the same. This would SUPPORT what you're saying with something being wrong with the Ultegras.

Then it goes back though to the fact that Shimano just usually doesn't make bad stuff and especially at the Ultegra level. So as a betting man at the end of a long day of wrenching on bikes and recording an industry podcast and 3 beers it was very easy for me to chalk it up to user error. While I still haven't been moved from that position I'm sorry you seem to have taken offense to it. The roadie ethos has always been one of calling it as it's seen, not everyone gets a trophy, etc. but with the current state of road being what it is we are ... "adjusting" to me less outwardly abrasive.

Best of luck in diagnosing your issue. I can assure you that if you stick it out and go with an actual road pedal system you'll start to see the reason the two different systems still exist. I simply used my son as a reference because he is going through that discovery right now.