View Single Post
Old 08-27-20, 09:00 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
To the extent that people will learn, it will be slowly.

I've been riding in my area (NYC suburban) for >35 years. Drivers are much more aware of cyclists now, and are much more likely to pass safely than they were in the early 90's. There are exceptions, of course, but the exceptions are the same people who drive aggressively period, not just around cyclists. These are just people who are always angry.

Each area is different, of course, but where I ride I'm of the opinion that the factor that has had the greatest influence on drivers is simply the number of cyclists that they see. In the early 90's cyclists were few and far between, people just were not looking for cyclists and had little experience, no training and little idea about how to drive around cyclists. I think that the combination of news reports, personal encounters with cyclists and the sheer number and frequency of encounters with cyclists has exceeded a critical point and most people are aware of how they should drive around cyclists.

Drivers are not perfect, of course, any more than cyclists are, so I still experience close passes and aggression on an occasional basis, but the frequency is probably less than what I experience while driving a car. And a lot less than I experienced 35 years ago.
Likes For noimagination: