View Single Post
Old 05-09-19, 04:40 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by starkmojo;20920400[b
There is a fairly new double rotary on my commute and I have tried a couple ways through it without feeling entirely safe. you can see it Here. When I try and use the crosswalk no one stops and it is pretty busy. I am headed north which requires me to be in the left lane of the first rotary, then get to the right for the second if I ride through it...

Before and after it there are pretty decent bike lanes (although the northbound one just vanishes into a bus stop without warning dumping the rider on a busy two lane road. but that's another question)

So my question is what would y'all do in this situation? Mostly I just take a lane and roll through it, figuring the sign says 15 MPH and I am doing at least that due to the sudden rush of adrenalin but maybe there is something I haven't thought of.
I can’t quite figure out this “double rotary,” but here in Boston, rotaries are common. I have posted about my seemingly uncommon personal strategy, FWIW:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I use both left and right rearview mirrors, in my case Take-a-Look eyeglass mounted ones. I got the idea from a cycling companion who used only a right hand mirror.

The additional right hand mirror affords a pretty good rearward view, but is particularly useful [including]:

• In a rotary
  • On a curved road to the right
  • When passing entrance/exit ramps from a freeway, with the right hand mirror, I can view the ramps to my right, and stay wide of them, while watching upcoming traffic on my left, all while almost continuously looking straight ahead [as I do in a rotary...right, left and straight ahead]
    Originally Posted by Stun
    My experience is that people drive differently in every city and treat cyclists very differently. The best advice often comes from cyclists that live the closest to you

The exception here would also be Jim from Boston--anyone that can successfully commute around Boston has my full respect and probably knows how to deal with about every intersection imaginable!
    Originally Posted by chefisaac
    LISTEN to @Jim from Boston

he knows his $hit!

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-09-19 at 11:59 AM.