View Single Post
Old 10-24-19, 03:40 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Quirky things you do on your rides

Because I have ridden essentially solo for decades, I have a few I have admitted to:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I'm peeved by a driver’s actions, instead of the middle finger and obscenties, I give my own special Bicyclist's Curse. I vigorously and repeatedly point my finger at the offender while shouting, “You, you, you…” with the intention that future harm befalls them. It’s more satisfying to me than the other gesture, with the hope of future metaphysical retribution.

I do also bestow Bicyclist's Blessings to drivers who show even a modicum of respect and compassion, with a friendly wave, a “Bless You,” and wishes for good things for them in the future. Even in car-crazy Boston, I perform numerously more blessings than curses. Probably about 2-3 blessings a day on a 14-mile commute vs about 1 curse every 3-4 weeks.

I feel empowered to perform these rituals, because my friend who introduced me to adult cycling once commented when a threatening rain turned sunny, “God smiles on His Bicyclists.”...
This morning on my ride I noted that, as I have in the past, I was I addressing out loud the talk show hosts (…”Good one, VB!”….Oh c’mon, Kim…)
... because I have such nice routes to ride, I have adopted an "imaginary friend" to bring with me on my rides and I point out the sights to him. He is actually an active subscriber to Bike Forums and from his many posts I think he is someone I'd like to ride with.

He's from the midwest, like myself, and I really enjoy showing such "paisanos" around the Boston area.
Originally Posted by X
*** is really creeped out right now.
Originally Posted by ***
Hey, everyone needs a sugar daddy.
Originally Posted by jrickards
Its funny but I find that on my commute into work, I find that I am thinking about and composing my entry for the "How was your commute today?" thread while on the bike.

What about you?
I too also think about composing posts, particularly on my long Saturday rides…On routine commutes, it's often work related.