Old 01-29-20, 08:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
If you just want to try some wider tires without spending too much, try the Continental Ultra Sport II in 700x32. I've been riding them in 700x23 and x25 for a couple of years, no problems or complaints. They're really tough (I use the same tires on the Cycleops trainer as outdoors), grippy, resistant to cuts and punctures despite claiming no special puncture shield, and respond well to a wide range of pressure. I weigh 150 (160 when I started using them a couple years ago), and run them from (rear) 70 psi on rougher stuff to 120 psi on smooth pavement (for PR attempts), and (front) 60-90 psi. No pinch flats, no unusual wear or sloppy handling at lower pressure.

I usually pay around $15 each for 700x23 and 25. The 700x32 usually costs around $30 but if you put them in the cart on Amazon, then move it to "save for later," this will often trigger the pricing algorithm to lower the price within a week.

I even compared the folding and wire bead versions in 700x25. They feel the same to me on the trainer and on the road. The wire bead is a little heavier but I didn't notice during rides.

And if you decide the 700x32 width isn't quite right, you're not out much money. If nothing else, they'll make good tires for a trainer or rollers.

Wish I'd taken my own advice last winter when I wanted to try 700x32 on one bike. I got a pair of Conti Sport Contact II instead, figuring they'd be better on wet roads. And they were pretty good rain tires. But I didn't care for the handling otherwise. The tread is really thick in the main contact patch, so they're durable and resistant to cuts and punctures. But the ride feels ... meh... no matter the pressure. Harsh at high pressure, sluggish and slow at lower pressure. Nothing like the Ultra Sport II, which retain pretty much the same feeling across a wide range of pressures. Fortunately I didn't pay much, maybe $20 for the pair from Nashbar during their change of ownership blowout. I'll save 'em for an errand bike. If I consider the Sport Contact II comparable to the Schwalbe Marathon/Green Guards, the Contis would rate highly -- very comparable wear and puncture resistance, with lower rolling resistance. So from that perspective it's a good tire. Just not what I was hoping for in a tire with "Sport" in the name.

(BTW, I have "better" road tires -- Schwalbe One V-Guards, Conti Grand Prix Classic, Vredestein Fortezza Tricomp. But I don't feel hindered by the cheaper Conti Ultra Sport II. I switch to the other tires if I'm in the mood to try for new PRs or a KOM.)

Last edited by canklecat; 01-29-20 at 08:57 PM.