View Single Post
Old 02-01-20, 10:06 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
Jamis Renegade Exploit 2016.
Huh.
Maybe its other frame design characteristics(geometry) that make it feel flexible and lacking in power transfer.

Perhaps similarly to 23mm tires feeling faster than 32s presumably because more vibration is felt and we associate that with speed. If a frame is designed to feel stable and comfortable, it may seem flexible and lacking in power transfer, yet it is actually stiff and transferring power just fine.

I am 235 and my 80s road bike frames with traditional tube diameters(which are exponentially more flexible than a modern Renegade's tubing diameter) hasn't ever made me think I am losing power due to frame flex. So my modern steel frames defintely havent made me think they are too flexible.

I do suggest you read up on power loss from frame flex. Measured results may surprise you.

In any event, larger diameter tubing is exponentially stiffer. Find a frame with a large down tube and a horixontally shaped oval top tube as those tubes directly affect bottom bracket sway.
chainstays that are round and not vertically oval are also stiffer. Stiffer chainstays will help make it feel like power isnt being lost.
A lighter and stiffer wheelset completely changes the feel of a bike. Perhaps it's as simple as a different wheelset than stock.

There is an entire debate/idea in cycling about this very issue(frame flex) and 'planing' is argued to be beneficial in some instances and by some cyclists.
But I could totally see why it may feel bad and isnt for everyone.

Anyways, go get yourself a frame with a honking big downtube, some round chainstays, a 44m head tube with tapered steerer, and an absurdly stiff wheelset. That'll ride like night and day compared to the Renegade. You may be faster too. Placebo is a hell of a concept.