Thread: Folding rig
View Single Post
Old 03-02-20, 11:19 AM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Hoaglund
I think you'll enjoy his minimalist projects and Paul Elkins is a:

Boeing retiree finds meaning inventing micro homes & high speed trikes
Originally Posted by BigAura
This IS NOT minimalist, most touring cyclists have shelter-sleeping-systems that are 2 to 5 lbs, and pack down to a few liters in size.

BTW: I'll admit his engineering is fun and well done. But he brings nothing to the table for practical touring.
BigAura - Context.

The phrase "minimalist" is being used in both your contexts correctly. However, the context in and of itself is what varies.

That is precisely why I stated the below in a prior post:

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I'm not in to politics, however its like a die-hard democrat trying to have a conversation about the same topic as a die-hard republican. Not only is it a challenge for them to have discussion, it is a challenge for them to even understand what they are discussing to begin with. Not picking any sides, the point is - audiences vary. If you are speaking to an audience on a subject that is foreign to them, or outside their wheel-houses, or worse - frowned upon by the audience, you are bound to get noisy replies.
So neither of you are incorrect. You are both perfectly correct. You're context, however, is, somewhat, opposite each other.

So, to your point, BigAura - in only the context from which you speak, cycling (and I'll throw in here backpacking also - like the gram-weenies that have tiny packs for multi-day trips) - the idea of a coroplast camper behind a bike does not classify your idea of "minimalist". However, from the perspective of living in a house or an apartment - down-sizing to a bicycle and a bicycle-camper is very much "minimalist". Context. You have to understand the overall umbrella of the context to understand that point. That is where audiences that are tuned in to a specific niche, where they only see what is under their umbrella, have a hard time seeing under another umbrella - until they open their viewpoints to allow themselves to look under other umbrellas.

Last edited by KC8QVO; 03-02-20 at 11:29 AM.
Likes For KC8QVO: