Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Okay.
Yes, derailleur hangers are not more robust nor are cables, for the lower-speed designs ....

Not "more robust" as in 'stronger" (which is what the word means) but more tolerant of bad adjustment. I have never ridden anything more than 8-speed on a serious MTB .... but when do you see a cut-off? Nine, ten? When did the derailleurs stop working?

We need to move this part of the discussion to the MTB page to get a really significant sample size, methinks.
Seems likely, as I have never had any problem with any system on a road bike.
Robust can mean literally "stronger" but in design is also means the ability to handle unforeseen circumstances. As far as "bad adjustment".... well, what IS bad adjustment? Its when you you don't adjust it precisely enough to work right. ANY system does not work when poorly adjusted. The difference is how precise the the adjustment need to be, and (far more importantly in my experience) how precise that adjustment needs to STAY. Cables wear and bed in. Hangars bend. ***** happens.. I've never had to align a new hangar until I went to 11 speed. So what is "bad adjustment" for 11 speed in some cases is just fine adjustment for 9.

I never said "derailleurs stop working". If you want an honest discussion, please don't mis-characterize what I said. I am not interested in debating straw-man arguments. Nor does there need to be a "cut-off-line". That is like asking where the cutoff for "heavy" bike or wheel is. I am sure it depends on a whole lot of factors, and for some people/bikes/conditions it may be 14 speed. But for ME.... it happened going from 9 to 11 on my MTBs.

I don't need more sample size to know what I am experiencing. In two separate cases, (switching my MTB from 9 to 11 and switching a road bike from 9 to 10) a hangar that worked just fine with the 9 speed cassette needed to be tweaked to work well with the 10 or 11. Again, I am a little shocked that it would surprise anyone that closer spaced cogs would be more sensitive to a hangar out of alignment.