Old 06-17-20, 04:29 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Thank you so much, mech986! That sort of answer is exactly what I am looking for. To that add that I agree with just about everything said and am impressed with the hand writing expert thing. I took another close look at the serial number, just to see if I could see the differences in stamp style. And, yes, I can see a difference but, in all honestly, I never would have examined a serial number so closely nor would I have expected it to be able to tell a wee story.

Well done and thanks. As for Red...

I do know that he has passed away. I do know that his mother died last summer, or around there. I do know that I have no way of getting in touch with him again; however, there is one member who just might know. Perhaps he will chime in.

I also think the Torpado to be sport a vintage between 1961 and 1967 (defined by the brake calipers). That wee medal, in the middle, helps with that assumption. The serial number, interpreted as mentioned, suggests 1965 and, until additional evidence surfaces, I am going to think of my Pado as a 1965 offering.

I did get two Torpado LUXE bicycles, at the same time, years ago. I swapped a weird tricycle for the pair. Both were fitted with 700c patterned steel rims. Both sported Universal Model 61 brake calipers and both appear to be set much like the calipers on the Pro...

Other than that, every one of the other Torpados that I have had, wore 27" rims, some steel and some alloy...

The non-drive side of the Torpado looks much the same as the drive side - paint worn off of the top tube. Red had a healthy set of legs (can be seen in the picture of him). That said, you are correct and I should include some " as found" and "first build" non-drive side pics. Stay tuned.

The bike was still active in the 1990s as is indicated by the Suze hubs, which were, apparently, not available until the nineties...

Anyway, this is a bicycle that I have long longed for and, though a bit damaged, I see it as a really good project (gonna address that wee frame issue). I also intend to keep adding to this thread, until the bike is done.

As for a long build, I agree. In days gone bye, I could do a complete bike in a day or two, assuming paint and art were not included in the build. The slow part is the getting to know the bike phase.

Once I find a bike of interest, I build it up, spending as little as possible(see pic of bike on the bridge). Then I test ride the bicycle in hopes of deciding if I like the bike or if there is anything wrong with the ride itself (does it pull to one side or the other). If I like the test ride, I will build the bike, as close to period/model correct as I can afford ("period/mode/price point correct") but the builds are rarely done (unless everything came with the bike when I acquired it).

It can, and usually does, take a long time to get just the right parts for a "period/mode/price point correct" completion. My Legnano, bought as a frame set, has been being built for well over a decade. Every so often, I rebuild it, switching "good enough for now" components out for those that are the real period and model correct deal. The last thing that I have to add to the Legnano is the embossed head set...

Then, the bike will be complete and fitted with the best period correct stuff that I could find. The latest piece found - a NOS take-off Legnano pantographed cottered crank set and matching bottom bracket, also NOS. I bought the set, through Ebay, at half of what others were asking twice as much for worn and/or rusted examples the same thing. I bought the set with-in minutes of its being posted. Lucky me...

The next piece I need for my Legnano, is a Roma frame/fork set. Now that is something I would spend a dollar on, if I had a dollar:-(

And today, as soon as I slop goo on the last seam of the roof that I started putting on the cottage, yesterday, I intend to finally take the Torpado out for its first cottage road ride, here in Ontario, on the Great Canadian Shield. Since I got home from Jamaica, I have been busier than two flies on a pig's butt. But pretty soon, the "look what happened over the winter" chores will be looked after, and more time will become my time.

Just to let you know what a long build really looks like, in my world...

I have been at this 1958 Rabeneick 120d for over two years, now. I am waiting for the warm weather (here now) to show up and for the bugs to diminish in numbers ( another couple of weeks), before hanging the frame set on the clothes line for the final coats of clear lacquer. Over two years, but pretty soon, this old roadie will look pretty darn good. As test ridden (rear derailleur is not hooked up)...

As ridden for part of a season...

The Rabeneick now but soon to be finished...