Old 07-06-20, 05:18 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
You got it. That popular meme is the exact opposite of what works. The standard drop bar road bike with it's standard position is that way simply because it's the most comfortable and especially the easiest on the back. The problem is getting people to believe it and try it. All the riders with back issues I've dealt with have benefited from going even lower in the front. That said, it does take a certain amount of flexibility. One has to be able to rest one's hands on one's knees with knees locked back, no more, though being more flexible is always helpful for everything. The most important thing for hand/arm comfort is plenty of reach, light weight on the hands from correct saddle position, and as stated above, the largest tires the bike can fit, inflated to the recommended sidewall pressure, possibly the lowest stated pressure.

Getting the fit right is the biggest problem when buying a bike for a non-cyclist.
And I just discovered something (new to me, not to the cross world) that will make a road bike even more workable is cross levers so you can ride and brake from the tops. I'm putting them onto my wife's old C'dale that she never rode for my daughter. Maybe I should have her try it.