Old 07-08-20, 05:19 PM
gradrider

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New Here! Best Hybrid Commuter/Fitness?

Hi everyone!
I'm new here. I've tried reading through a few of these Hybrid threads and have spent a few months researching bikes as well. Honestly, all the jargon and technicalities end up with me with a headache, frustrated, and closing my laptop. After reading many "best hybrid" lists and reviews, I figured I'd ask for some advice here.

I'm a grad student in the Boston area (lots of potholes, some hills, mostly asphalt riding, rainy/snowy) and had my bike stolen at the start of last year. I'm in the market for a new one, and have decided a hybrid is my best bet. I'm planning on using it for biking to and from class, work, internships, and longer weekend rides along the Charles and perhaps some packed gravel trails. I'm planning on adding a luggage rack and splash guards as well since it's pretty wet here in Boston and my backpack is heavy. It has been hard to find any bikes in stock, so I haven't been able to check any out to try or look at. Could I ask for advice on the following models? I have seen a lot about them, but just trying to find the best bike under $800.

Marin San Anselmo
Marin Presidio
Marin Fairfax/Marin Terra Linda (drop bar version of Fairfax)
Cannondale Quick 4 or 5
Trek FX 3
Specialized Ariel
Co-Op City 1.1
Jamis Coda Sport (S1?)

If there are any that I'm missing from this list, please let me know what I should add/take off, or better yet, which is the best option here! Thank you all for your help in advance