Old 04-21-12, 10:13 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by pkulak
So, I've never ridden disc brakes before, and just bought a bike and had Avid BB7s installed by the shop. I broke them in (rode about 40 miles in 4 days or so, with some intentional stopping thrown in for good measure, way more than the 40 stops that Avid calls for), but they still feel like average-to-bad caliper brakes. I can't lock up the rear wheel on the hoods, for example. I was expecting awesome performance (do a stoppie with two fingers ), but this is very underwhelming. The shop doesn't seem to really think the performance I'm getting is abnormal. Is this really all I can expect from disc brakes on a road bike? Because, if so, I'll probably just throw some linear pull brakes on there.
I've had two sets of them and, quite frankly, I've been very unimpressed both times. In my experience, they are rather mushy. They certainly don't compare to the Paul cantilevers I have on a couple of road bikes or the Avid Arch Rivals that the BB7s replaced on a mountain bike.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!