View Single Post
Old 08-12-18, 05:06 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,494 Times in 496 Posts
(Continued)

Making the necessary measurements and drilling the requisite holes (by hand; no need to hook up a power drill, as the resin material is soft enough):

The base is 58.5mm wide. The screw holes on the Wellgo pedal where the the toe clip will sit (in place of the original reflector) are exactly one inch/25.4mm apart. I measured 16.5mm from each side in and 4mm down from the thick part of the base (the screw head is 8mm in diameter) and marked out where to drill.

Now, prying the reflector off of the front side of the Wellgo (the hole where the strap goes into the body of the pedal, and the corresponding "tongue" in the cage, indicate the back side of the pedal):

Now, screwing the toe clip to the same holes where the reflector used to fit, using the same bolts that used to hold the toe clip to its original VP body (and the same nuts seen earlier):

I even managed to push the reflector back into its holder without breaking it!

And voila! Two bear trap pedals with toe clips and straps!

Now, I have no idea if or for how long this kind of setup will hold up before the first toe clip breaks off, but I'm hoping for the best here.

The original VPs, intact and sacrificed:

Last edited by sjanzeir; 08-13-18 at 01:00 PM.