Old 05-03-16, 08:08 AM
Clamms

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Sirrus Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChiCommuter
I did some bike commuting using Chicago's Divvy bikeshare system, and am now purchasing my first bike. My research has led me to two options: an on-sale Specialized Sirrus Sport ($525) vs. a Trek 7.2 FX ($490).

I realize these bikes are very similar, but I am nevertheless intent on making the "right" decision. So far as I understand it, the main differences are (a) the Trek has a steel fork and possibly better tires, but is otherwise a step-down on components; and (b) the Sirrus Sport has slightly better components, but an aluminum fork (less smooth ride) and possibly worse tires.

Am I missing something? What should I be thinking about? What would other people do?

I've thought this to death, so in an act of pure desperation from my own analysis paralysis, I'm turning to the internet for help. Thanks!
I was in the exact same position as you a few months ago. Here’s the deal: Both bikes are gonna be really nice and are of similar quality, and chances are you won’t be able to discern much of a difference when you ride them. That being said, just go with your gut and your heart and choose the one that you like best. You’re going to love the one you get, so it’s really not going to matter in the end which one you choose. I went with the Sirrus. That’s nothing against the Trek, I just liked everything about the Sirrus – the ride, the colors (matte black with blue accents), I liked the guys at the LBS that sells Specialized, etc.

One recommendation I have for you is to pay an extra $100 or whatever to get a model with disc brakes. I got the Sirrus Sport Disc model, and the disc brakes are awesome – 100% reliable in the rain (and you WILL ride in the rain at some point) and they are so easy to operate – you can literally squeeze the brakes with your pinky finger and stop on a dime. I’ve had the bike for a month and I can already say I’ll never go back to non-disc brakes again.

Anyway, stop agonizing and just pick the one that strikes you the best.