Old 06-20-19, 03:19 PM
ronin4740

Bikes: Giant TCR, Pure City Original Fixie, Fuji Roubaix, Raleigh M800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
I'm 5'10", 53 and well north of 200lbs. Saddles and I don't like each other at all... I've tried quite a few over the past few years and have finally decided that the one which works best for me is the Selle SMP line of saddles. One of the LBS's is a dealer and has most of their saddles available for demo. Another LBS is a Fizik dealer and has their saddles but none that I tried worked well for me.

I purchased a used Giant TCR recently and the stock saddle was really bad. Got numb in placed I'd rather not be after about 10 miles on the bike. Decided to swap it out and am currently using a Well which has a 147mm width.

Initially my inner thighs hated it - lots of burning right in the area which makes contact with the sides of the saddle. Thought it might be that it was a bit too wide in that area but I kept at it and it got better... Perhaps I decreased the diameter of my inner thighs a bit over a two week period of time.

I also experienced just a little burning just behind the family jewels but that has also largely gone away. Was always much better than the Giant saddle spec'ed with the bike...

I found level wasn't the best for me so my saddle is also tilted a couple of degrees down. Guess I can't bend in the middle as well as I used to be able to so the compromise is to drop the nose of the saddle just a bit to compensate for now. Hopefully as I continue to ride that will improve too.

Anyway I'd suggest seeing if any of your LBS's have demo saddles and/or actually having a fit done. Barring that you can always get a Prime membership and purchase saddles to try and return if you don't like them. Anything that's just as painful after a week as it was when you first rode it ought to go back as in my mind it's not likely to get better with more time. I do think to some degree your body adapts to the saddle but only to a certain degree.

Hope this helps a little