Thread: Broken nipple
View Single Post
Old 07-11-19, 05:02 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Davei,
By now you should know that the wheel owes you nothing. Twenty plus years of service and a broken spoke is the only problem? I would re-build the wheel. Loosen the non drive side first and then the drive side to prevent damage to the rim, buy a new set of both sides of the rim spokes and replace them.
A good re-build will keep you going for as long as the old set of spokes lasted. For the most part a broken spoke should not let the rim get too far bent to make it useless. Lowering the tensions slowly should keep the rim reasonably intact for a re-build.
I do a lot of re-builds for the local co-op by saving good rims and hubs and doing a complete re-lace of the wheel (even with old spokes). Do check a spoke length via one of the calculators on the web, or just measure the ones you take out of the wheel. HTH, MH
But first, look at brake wear. No point in investing in a rebuild if the sidewalls are worn. Lay a straightedge across the rim. Is there a deep hollow? Consider replacing. Shallow hollow? Maybe just take my approach above, knowing they are not going to last forever. Almost no hollow and the rim spins straight (of at least did until the spoke broke)? OK, invest in a rebuild.