Old 01-31-20, 08:19 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 115 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 885:

33F this morning, which continues our trend of unseasonably warm weather this winter. This is the 2nd January morning above freezing, which is crazy. Usually we don't even get above freezing in the peak of the day during the winter months. This is the day's high, however, as it should be in the mid to low 20s for my ride home. Which is still pretty warm for us in January so I'm not complaining.

In fact, we've only had about a half dozen or so days below zero this year, and only one day where the high was below zero, which is a pretty low number for us. Compared to last winter where we had around 30 days below zero and 10 where the high was below zero, and I'm living large.

We did get about half inch of fresh powder overnight, which did a pretty good job of camouflaging the icy ruts. Thankfully I didn't have any close calls, but the sudden change in terrain under my wheels did surprise me a few times. Headwind was so light I could barely count it as one.

Got to the client's office and used my badge to get into the building where I park my bike. Then I walked across the parking ramp to the building where I work and the badge reader didn't acknowledge my badge. No response at all, like I wasn't even waving it in front of the sensor. I thought maybe it was just that sensor that was freaking out, so I walked around to all three doors and none of them worked. Apparently my badge decided broke somewhere between the garage and the building. Thankfully a guy inside the building saw me walking around to the different doors and not getting in, so he came to my rescue and let me in.