View Single Post
Old 10-28-19, 09:14 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Haven't been around for a few weeks. Been enjoying a little break from various social media. Also not been riding much -- after completing a personal goal of five Dirty Kanza 200 finishes last June, I just have not been motivated to ride much and I've *really* been enjoying having the extra 8-10 hours every weekend to just be super lazy. I'm hoping I get motivated again by spring otherwise I might have to start working out in some other fashion.

But the big news I've started shaving with double-edge safety razors and it's pretty awesome, you guys. I decided to give it a try because I felt that it needlessly wasteful to throw away plastic cartridges every week, but the whole shaving bowl, quality shaving cream, shaving brush, safety razor shaving experience is much more enjoyable and I don't get ingrown hairs and is actually something I look forward to now.

Learning curve (on both my face and my legs) was a little steep but worth it now that I've got the hang of it.

Also you can get like 100 blades for $10.

As it turns out I picked the right time to get into it. I used to order cartridge razor blades from Dorco because you could get a 6-month supply for absurdly cheap, but last summer they shut down their direct-order operation in the U.S. and now you have to order from their Amazon storefront, and their prices are basically the same as Gillette now.

From what I can tell they settled a patent-infringement lawsuit with Gillette and the terms are confidential but the shuttering of their direct-order operation is most likely connected to this.

Also there are shaving forums that are just as nerdy and nitpicky as bike forums, because of course there are.