Old 11-15-16, 01:03 PM
finch204

Bikes: 2013 Trek 4.7 Flatbar Madone, 2018 Giant Roam 2

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by practical
Looks great. I converted a road bike to a flat bar and love it. Good for you to do this, but I don't see a mirror. Please get a mirror to put on the end of the bar - you will love having it. Flatbars accommodate mirrors very well and you will be amazed at how much more confident you'll feel riding in traffic. I prefer the hand position of a flatbar. The flatbar is lower than riding in the "hoods" where most people ride most of the time so I don't buy the "upright position" issue. Very nice.
I hear you on the mirror. Whenever I noticed headlights coming up from the rear, I would swing my head back to see what is coming. Sometimes when I do this, my bike would twitch. I know that I can improve my control of the bike by practicing this motion, but I think a mirror would really be beneficial in this regard. Thankfully the motorists on the road were accommodating and were passing me on the left lane.

Originally Posted by kuroba
Sweet conversion! We're about to do the same for my SO, he wants road bike gearing with flat bars and for some reason that kind of bike is not available around here.

If you ever want to try clipless, may I suggest you try the Shimano Click'r range? It's a range of "commuting" pedals, easier to clip and unclip (really, I've never fallen because, in an emergency, they release easily even if I forget to unclip) and do come with reflectors. There's also a model that comes with a platform on one side, that I'm considering because, like you, I don't always feel like grabbing my cycling shoes.
I have heard of the Click'r line but have not really looked into them. When I'm feeling adventurous, I will check them out

Originally Posted by sh00k
Absolutely beautiful ride! As I mentioned somewhere on another thread, i may convert my 2016 emonda sl 6 to flatbar.

but back to the subject, your bike is absolutely beautiful and the flat bar makes it look like they came on the bike stock. it doesnt stick out like a sore thumb like some other conversions i've seen. great job!
I would want to see what a flatbar Emonda would look like.

I was actually worried that it would look off after the conversion. Thankfully it turned out pretty well. The wife even complimented on how good the bike looks after the conversion.