Old 05-27-18, 10:14 PM
sgtrobo

Bikes: Cutthroat, Scalpel, Roubaix, Sequoia, SuperX, Diverge

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Howdy.

So I replied earlier in this thread (eh...almost 3 years ago ) and since then I've set up my Cutthroat and it sits at a hair under or slightly over 20 lbs, depending upon which wheelset and tires I have on it. I've put close to 4k miles on it (haven't done DK on it yet), almost all of it on gravel, singletrack, logging mountain roads, etc. Here's how I have it set up:
* carbon Cowbells
* SRAM Force drivetrain/brakes (1x)
* XX1/Quarq cranks/36t
* XG1195 cassette (10-42)
* carbon Thompson seatpost
* 180mm front/rear rotors

** Roval Traverse SL carbon wheels (30mm internal diameter) w/2.3" Renegades (previous generation)
or
** Roval Control SL carbon wheels (22mm internal diameter) w/1.8" Renegades (previous generation)

I have also done a few gravel centuries on a 2018 Diverge, which is somewhat similar to the Warbird (similar weight, similar tire clearance, similar riding style).
I have had 3 shoulder reconstruction surgeries (2 on left, 1 on right) and broke my C6/C7 vertebrae and herniated the disks (had that all replaced with a titanium insert...thingee...)
I'm also 100kg
On smooth, well manicured gravel and especially on the road, having the bigger relatively knobby tires and bigger wheels slows things down. The rougher and deeper the gravel is, the more the bigger/wider tires help, not just with speed but with fatigue resistance.
The Cutthroat is also the funnest bike I've ever owned. The riding position is rather relaxed and comfortable (not particularly aero)
It's lone weakness is that the frame doesn't accept anything larger than a 42 or 44t (2x) chainring up front, or a 38t in 1x config, so the gearing becomes a disadvantage at higher speeds

i plan on doing the DK200 either next year or the year after and I am still trying to figure out which bike to go with, the Diverge or the Cutthroat. it all depends on just how thick and deep the gravel is, because having the wide tires makes a huge difference in the deeper gravel, both for speed and for stability