canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
My g/f suffers from chronic migraines. Opiates are the only meds that somewhat alleviate her suffering.

I pickup her meds occasionally. She has to call the pharmacy ahead of time and they scan my driver's license before I pay. Cameras pointed right at me. Makes one feel like they are engaged in a criminal activity.

She fears the feds will outlaw all opiates. If that occurs, I will likely lose her. Her QOL will be zero.
I suffered from excruciating headaches since childhood, and only in my 50s did it begin to subside in frequency and severity. I've seen a lot of doctors, neurologists and picked up a lot of info and experience along the way.

Opiates are absolutely not effective at relieving migraine pain. If it's a migraine, opiates will barely help. If opiates do help with an excruciating headache, it's not a migraine. It may be a cluster headache or trigeminal neuralgia, both of which are equally excruciating but more receptive to opiates and other analgesics.

It's very difficult to distinguish between these three types of headaches because they all feel like unholy hell. And even some neurologists aren't certain.

The most effective migraine relief meds are certain tricyclics, Imitrex and similar meds, beta blockers and calcium channel blockers for some patients (common blood pressure meds like metoprolol), and occasionally the obsolete ergotamine derivatives like caffergot. For some folks migraines can be prevented or minimized in severity by valproic acide/Depakote, Wellbutrin and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors. Some folks even report that over the counter melatonin and valerian root can help. But there's a lot of guesswork and experimenting involved, so find a sympathetic neurologist.

If it's a cluster headache or trigeminal neuralgia, it may help to take a decongestant. Try Sudafed or generic pseudoephedrine, or oral asthma med like ephedrine/guaifenesin (expectorant that loosen mucous). Also try nasal spray decongestants. Hot caffeinated beverages like coffee, tea, etc., can help as an ergogenic supplement. The theory is that reducing pressure on the nerves in the face and scalp can reduce or eliminate the pain associated with cluster headaches and trigeminal neuralgia.

In the worst cases a local anesthetic like lidocaine or xylocaine can be injected into the scalp, under the facial skin or even into the gums. Sounds weird, but that's exactly how a dentist relieved one of the worst bouts I've ever had with trigeminal neuralgia. It's one of the few times in my adult life when I was completely pain free above the neck for several hours. Before the injection I was in so much pain I'd have jumped in front of train if it had lasted much longer.

For similar reasons some neurologists have experimented with botox injections to relieve nerve pain in the face, neck and scalp.

Also, try Stopain Migraine roll-on, gel or cream. It's amazing stuff, verified by published scientific studies -- not just patient anecdotes. Costs only $12 or less, and works quickly. They recommend applying it only to the sides of the neck and behind the ears, but it can be applied to the face over the forehead, over the sinuses, etc., but be extremely careful to keep it away from the eyes -- don't rub the eyes, etc. It will work better, but if it gets in the eyes it'll sting like fire for a few minutes.

And I don't mean to minimize the agony your girlfriend is experiencing. It's real. I know from lfelong experience. But if opiates help, it's probably not migraine. And cluster headaches and trigeminal neuralgia are just as bad, if not worse. Opiates can help with those.

Also, take a look at my lengthy post above about kratom -- mitragyna speciosa. If your girlfriend is unable to get the prescription opiates she needs, try a red vein kratom like Bali, Borneo or Elephant Ear. These are very affordable and can be mail ordered discretely. It's legal in most states, at least until the FDA decides what to do. They proposed a ban a few years ago but relented after protests from chronic pain sufferers, including military veterans, and doctors who said they wanted more time to research kratom. If it's a matter of life and death -- because there's a reason why cluster headaches and trigeminal neuralgia are sometimes called "suicide headaches" -- then kratom may literally be a life saver.

Best wishes!