Old 11-28-18, 06:26 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by mattm
Fondos do fine with that model because most people aren't going there to win, they're going for "PRs", fun, ride with pros, etc.

Actual races are about having one winner - everyone else is a "loser". Having all cats raced together, the lower cats would get pulled and never see the finish of a race, much less have any fun. You'd have an even bigger problem with turnout applying that model to real racing.

Not to mention, last thing I need is to race with a bunch of Cat 5s. Racing with sketchy 1's is bad enough!
You wouldn't race with a bunch of Cat 5s. You'd race with a bunch near your ability any age, any gender.

Group 1 @mattm and some other 99 or so at the similar level top women, top juniors, top old people - open class, all the same rules.
Group 2 Cat 3 men's field, some junior 15-18, some women's (those are close), some masters - 75 or so riders
Group 3 Cat 4 men's, junior 15-18, Some women, some masters...
Group 6 or 7 beginners - fields of 25, limit gears.
Group U14 small/young - pint size like kids do need their own group.

OP pretty much said it wouldn't work, so I will drop it for a bit. My perspective is/was more on the junior side, and previously on the women's side. I have little male elite or masters perspective. I can see where this won't work if the egos keep everyone wanting their own trophy.