View Single Post
Old 12-11-18, 08:54 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Fishing pole. Look at the back of my rear pannier. This actually became more of a prop than a food getting device. I mailed the tackle home after one month. When traveling alone in rural America I prefer the conversation go towards hunting and fishing than "Boy, you must not have a gahdam thing to do" (this was actually said to me in Chivington, Colorado). Hence, the pole remained with me in a prominent position for even passing cars to see me. 100% prop for 4 months.

This book is great although it is the world's heaviest book for it's size by far. The trouble with foraging is that roadside plants are contaminated with car fluids/rubber and state parks generally forbid the removal of plants. And after a long day on the bike, who feels like hunting for edible weeds anyway. I gave the book to a fellow camper after about two weeks carrying it. Never tried trapping anything. Grocery stores and restaurants are much more dependable food sources.

Good question though. Didn't work for me. And I am happy with a can of sardines as a pig in slop.