View Single Post
Old 12-11-18, 09:01 PM
3speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
I haven’t done it personally, but I think you certainly could if you really wanted to. The main thing these days would probably be your routing. You’d have to make sure to keep on top of hunting laws in each area/season. Things like squirel and fish are pretty readily available all over the U.S. Foraging for fruits and vegetables really isn’t terribly difficult. Most of us these days just don’t realize how much is out there simply because this knowledge has left our culture in favor of the grocery store. There are simple things like dandelion flowers and young leaves that are eatible and fairly common. Nuts, other flowers, berries, etc. Now that very few hunt and gather, there isn’t a whole lot of competition for food if you want to go get it. Personally my choices of weapons would be a fishing pole and sling shot. Both can be very small and compact. No need to bother with a gun. More maintenance and legality issues to deal with if traveling. A semi-skilled hunter can take small game with a sling shot. You won’t be hunting anything larger than a rabit if you’re on the move and have no refrigeration. The biggest thing here I think is the amount of time you’d be dedicating to food. It wouldn’t end up being the 50+mi a day and leisurely camping at night. I’d think you’d have to spend a lot of time hunting and gathering food, maybe alternating days between riding and food gathering. Rough guess, as I’ve never tried this sort of thing, or even tried randomly driving to a new area and scouting for small game right away without knowing the area at all.

Last edited by 3speed; 12-11-18 at 09:15 PM.