Old 03-15-19, 10:51 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
What's in your bag? How do you move your gear?

This is something that's always been interesting to me.

Here was my setup:

Bag: Camelbak BFM (I don't know which exact variant). It's not available anymore. But, updated offerings are.

This is a military spec bag, not just a "Military-looking" bag. It expands outward to increase volume. Has internal and external tie-downs to keep things from moving around inside. Cinch it all down and it's a solid rock. The straps are over-built. You could literally load up over 100lbs of stuff an it wouldn't sag or stress the straps. It's like the straps are reinforced with Kevlar or something. If you can carry it, the bag can carry it.

I removed the internal water bladder and drinking hose. I didn't feel like dealing with cleaning it. Water bottles in big side pockets was easier.

This bag was made for abuse. The zipper opens up 180 degrees and it lays flat.

What's inside:
- Custom oversized Track Sack (chainrings, cogs, tools, etc...)
- Shoes
- 2x 32 oz Nalgene bottles (one in each side pocket)
- Cycling clothing
- 2x helmets attached outside by chinstrap (later used carabiner for faster on/off)
- Misc (pens, safety pins, race license, chainring bolts, multiples of the same race number (never be without one), keys, snacks)

This was enough to hold everything I needed for a typical training day. If I brought extra wheels, they would be in a double wheel bag strapped diagonally across my back. 2 hand still free (1 for the bike). If I carried rollers as well, they would be on a strap on my shoulder. 1 hand free for the bike.

I could go to and from the track in 1 trip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20101129213420.jpg (87.0 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpeg
15073527.jpeg (28.9 KB, 126 views)

Last edited by carleton; 03-15-19 at 10:55 AM.