View Single Post
Old 11-02-09, 10:04 PM
The Smokester

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well, I AM interested in measuring CdA and the other parameters that go into a model describing(understanding) bicycle dynamics with a view to understanding the differences between DF and 'Bents in real-world use. This is just an amusement for me, but I am taking the equations of motion for the various bikes I ride and fitting GPS data to time, position and elevation data for runs over the same courses. To determine CdA I fit many unpowered downhill runs to a model using these gps data and a derived estimate of the varying slope (velocity vs slope). This allows me to combine pleasant rides (i.e I don't need to obsess over the measurements during the ride) with the accumulation of interesting (to me) data. I preselect data to maintain uniformity in weather conditions, bicycle and rider. It is too early to tell whether this approach will be meaningful since I haven't had the 'bent very long.

I would be interested in knowing what other technical references on such empirical modeling there are on the web.

As a side note, I notice from watching various Tours de ... that breakaway groups are allowed to get quite close to the finish line before the main peleton is unleashed to catch them and the peleton almost always wins. I have wondered whether these sophisticated teams have real-time models of the course and bike performance that allow them an edge in judging just when to start the chase. Anybody know?

Last edited by The Smokester; 11-02-09 at 10:17 PM.