View Single Post
Old 06-05-15, 08:48 PM
K.Katso
Gold Member

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8, Pinarello Bolide, Argon 18 E-118, Bianchi Oltre, Cervelo S1, Wilier Pista

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like it too, awfully convenient, but I did find two problems with it. First, if you want to change tires and save the tire, it makes it difficult because the tape sticks a little too well. In several cases, when I took it off it also took some of the tire's cotton base tape with it. I guess that might be fine if you're going to tape again, but I wasn't sure there was much for either glue or tape to stick to anymore.

The other problem is with wider rims. On my Zipp Firecrest rims, the tape being only 19mm wide leaves quite a bit of room without any type of adhesive at the edges of the tire. I could push it and watch it move a little bit.

I've gone back to glue but I do keep some Tufo tape around for emergencies, like if I am in the middle of a multi-day cyclosportive and I need to quickly mount a tire when short on time. I haven't had this situation yet (fortunately) but I think it would be a good temporary option.