Old 05-25-20, 02:21 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I have been hanging food for several decades. One night the noise of a bear climbing up the tree at 2am woke us up, we threw enough sticks and rocks at it that the bear decided to leave. We of course got almost no sleep the rest of the night but the next morning our food was fine. That was the closest we ever got to an animal problem with our hanging food.

But last summer backpacking, I tried some really cheap dry bags so I could color code my food as shown in the photo. I learned that really cheap dry bags are not dry, rain water got in. Fortunately, the stuff that needed to stay dry was in zip lock baggies.

That said, several of the people on that backpacking trail were using Ursack bear resistant sacks. I plan to bring one of those on my future trips where I need to worry about large animals getting to my food. Where I have convenient hanging trees I would hang it, but where the trees are not convenient for hanging I can tie it off to a lower tree trunk.

But, in this thread we are talking about camping in Nova Scotia. All the RV parks I stayed at last summer in the Maritimes had minimal threat of animals. In five weeks, once or twice during the night I woke up from the noise of an animal trying to get in my food bag, chased it away and did not have any problems.