View Single Post
Old 08-06-20, 04:14 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Upgraded my Crosscut today . Ever since I bought it ,over ten years ago , I’ve been trying to move the old beat up cage pedals from the cranks .
I’ve ruined more wrenches trying to get them off and neither side has moved a micro .
I ruined a new $20 pedal wrench yesterday.

So I got to thinking , why not change out the cranks ? Then I can put whatever pedals I want on it .
I also have been toying with the idea of going to a 1x8 drivetrain and eliminate the front derailleur and shifter .
I rarely shift out of the middle chainring anyway.
Today , I borrowed a set of Shimano Hybrid cranks off another bike that had removable chainrings and installed them and a 36 tooth oval wide narrow chainring on the CrossCut .
Installed a set of pedal extenders and a set of platform pedals .
Then took her for a test ride .
I’m in LOVE .
With this setup , I get to use those middle gears that used to be at the top end spinning down hill to get the mo to get up the next hill .
Riding around the the neighborhood , I got up to sixth gear and purposely approached a few hills slow so I could try out the new low gear . Wow! I just spin right on up the hills .
I‘m going to ride the Crosscut for a week or so , but I’m thinking I may be I’m going to be going 1x8 on my CrissCross and 1x7 my Specialized Hardrock .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 08-13-20 at 09:10 PM.
Likes For OldCruiser: