View Single Post
Old 10-21-20, 04:22 AM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
My gf just acquired a 2019 Marin Four Corners for some tours we are planning for next year. During the test drive she was very happy with the function of the bike in shifting, braking etc... but found it a tad heavier than desired, however the price (and that it was equipped with racks, bags, pump) made it a no- brainer buy.
Upon getting it home I made a few changes that might have shaved off a pound or two and we have 35” Panracer Gravel Kings coming to replace the aggressive 42” WTB’s that it came with.
My question concerns the possibility of removing the front disc brake assembly and installing a rim brake to shave off a bit more weight. What challenges does this present? Can a rim brake be used on a wheel that doesn’t have a polished braking surface?
“tad heavier than desired” and that’s before loading it up with gear. Seems to me someone isn’t accepting the reality of touring. The bike IS heavier than a road bike because it IS carrying more dead weight. So between buying for price and desiring light weight in a pannier carrying bike you’re trying to remove ounces while adding lbs.

I’m all for making the ride match the rider so a 125 lb rider with light load could do fine with 32 mm tires on the road but the biggest issue is whether you put a 15 lb or 25 lb load on the bike not switching around brakes.

Yeah, and just put on the saddle she likes on her other bikes, no reason to use leather hammock saddles if she’s comfortable already.

ok just checked out what a Four Corners is, it’s not meant to be light, It’s meant to carry weight. I’m guessing the frame is on the heavy side. If the riding is all on pavement then 32 mm is plenty but honestly those 42 mm Resolutes are light tires for their size but meant for dirt. Are you riding on pavement or dirt roads? My $.02 if she wants a light touring bike then don’t use panniers, use one dry bag on the back rack and a frame bag. Or ditch the rack and go with frame and seatbag. And ditch the heavy saddle for a modern light one that is comfortable.

Last edited by LeeG; 10-21-20 at 09:49 AM.