Old 11-08-20, 07:44 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
My suggestion - if you are considering touring you should be a good bike mechanic. That includes being able to handle tire/flat repairs (the most common of all "mechanicals", I would say).

You will have flats, as you state. If you go with that mindset you won't be surprised when you get one and it is easier to accept the down time. If you don't get a flat - all the better. But plan on it and it won't be a surprise when it happens.

On my last trip (12 days) I was making my punch run to my destination (Lake Erie). It was already going to be a longer day than an average mileage day, for one. Secondly, I had more elevation to deal with that day than most. And third - I was taking time out from the ride to visit a buddy from college. So the day was jam-packed already. To add more things to the day - fourth - the weather was going to pot with a cold front coming in. There were storms ahead of the cold front, in addition to a line of rain with the cold front itself. Of course I had to get a flat. It was right after lunch. When we were done with our lunch get-together I went out to a bike with a flat tire. So before I could move it needed to be fixed, obviously. It was, also, the 2nd flat I had. Because of that I spent more time with the tire inspection to see what was causing it. I found a bit of metal stuck in one of the tread lugs. So I think the 2 flats I had were from the same bit of metal. I did an interior inspection of the tire both times, but after the 2nd I did a close inspection of the outside also. That is where I found the bit of metal. There wasn't enough coming through the tire (or maybe any - maybe not until the tire was inflated with load) to find it on the interior tire inspection.

The moral of the above - you should be a good bike mechanic if you are going to tour and expect that you are going to run in to needing to work on your bike, even though the delay might be a bummer - even major bummer - given the timing/scheduling/weather. That doesn't mean that you have to be a certified bike tech with 15 years experience adjusting bikes, building bikes, building wheels, yada, yada, yada. That means that you know YOUR bike and can deal with adjustments and repairs on-the-go (derailleur adjustments, cable replacements [brake + shifter], accessory mounting like racks and fenders [think loose bolts here or things getting knocked out of your installed positions], handlebar adjustments, and.... of course - tire/wheel maintenance/repair).

If you go out on a solo/unsupported trip without proper understanding and abilities with your bike you are setting yourself up to use your phone to get you out of trouble. Are you going to call a friend, relative, uber, lyft, taxi, or the local bike shop for a ride? Or are you going to carry with you the mindset and abilities (plus necessary gear) to handle 90% of what could happen to your bike on-the-go with you on the trip? I would think the latter should be a very important and obvious aspect of an "unsupported" trip.