View Single Post
Old 12-24-19, 01:37 PM
OldCruiser

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 3,067 Times in 1,015 Posts
Spent some time customizing my Electra 7d this morning. I’m still waiting for my 9/16 to 1/2 pedal adapters to swap out the pedals for some platforms.
Swapped saddles three times before I settled ( for now ) on a Planet Bike ARS MTB saddle .
Added just a little red accent because I didn’t have any black foam grips that I could trim and use the twist grip shifter .
Got to put a little over six miles on it afterwards, riding around the neighborhood.
I’m starting to form my opinion on the bike . You really don’t know about a bike until you get up close with it while you’re working on it .
I would give it about 3.5 out of 5 . Mainly because of its cheap components. Such as the freewheel , Since the shifter says Shimano on it , and the derailleur ( although entry level) , I expected the freewheel to be Shimano . Nope , Sunrace . Something you’d find on a Walmart bike . Same for the brakes and levers .Cheap , Entry level .
I’m afraid Electra quality has gone done some IMO . I’m just a little disappointed in the build quality of this bike .
The bike has a mystery clanging noise occasionally. Not sure if it’s chain slap or bottom bracket bearing noise . I can’t find anywhere the chain would hit , so I’m afraid it maybe bottom bracket . If it continues or gets worse , I’ll take it back to the dealer.
It rides smooth, especially with the Maxxis Hookworms, but I think I may have made a mistake in buying the 7d .
For just a little more money , less than $50 , I could have bought a Specialized Roll . Which is a whole lot better bike IMO .
But I do like a cantilever style frame .
I’ll most likely swap out components for better ones as they wear out , including the wheels .
Merry Christmas to all of my Cruiser friends .

Last edited by OldCruiser; 12-24-19 at 01:50 PM.