davei1980
Very Slow Rider

Bikes: Jones Plus LWB, 1983 Centurion Japanese CrMo bike

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ronmann
Thanks for the idea John, this looks like the simplest solution. Another idea I found is to install a triple and removed the largest chainring so you’re left with a super compact double. I’m not sure if I can keep my derailleur if I do this?
I would keep your cassette or get a 11-40 or 11-36 if research shows that your R/DR will reach a cog that large and try your idea of using a triples crankset to achieve "Alpine Gearing" (read Sheldon Brown, big proponent of this.)

That sounds confusing but my overall idea is that it will be cheaper and more effective to swap out your crank than to switch out cassette and derailleur, but if your derailleur has the capacity, then go ahead and mess with the cassette too.

Keep your 34 in the middle position (you'll need new, shorter bolts, and get a 24T small chainring and away you go! You may have to shorten your chain a bit. That will give you the poor man's version of Rivendell's Silver low/low crank.

You're not crazy, the stock gearing on that bike is ridiculous for anyone looking to climb anything.

Last edited by davei1980; 09-01-20 at 03:41 PM.