CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
When adjusted for drop the Rolling Resistance is virtually the same (within .1 of a watt) however the RR calculations are flawed because they do not take real-world road conditions into account. The irregularities and imperfections in our roads skew the advantage substantially in a wider tires advantage. Also not taken into account the energy which our bodies must absorb from a narrow high-pressure tire, there are numerous studies including a famous one from the US Army on the fatigue effects of vibration on Tank Crews.
I wasn't saying the test was perfect or that narrow or wide tyres are better or worse. I wasn't value judging at all.

All I did was correcting a misunderstanding with the referred test. It did not, in fact, show that rolling resistance dropped the wider tyre you have unless the tyres were pumped to the same bar/psi.
Personally, I much prefer wider tyres (within reason) myself. But that's mostly a preference and certainly not based on rolling resistance (well, within reason).

Add:
There's a .6 watt difference between the 28 and 32mm. That really doesn't matter, but it's not lower in that particular test.