Old 09-22-20, 12:02 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I think one thing that would help is if people would not respond to what someone said about what someone else said as if it's what someone else actually said. People are free to agree or disagree with what GP writes (I do on occasion) but to be fair (if that is important) one should read from the source and provide the appropriate context.

For example. GP promotes an idea called s24o - a sub twenty four hour trip, as a convenient way to get on your bike for a simple campout instead of a more complicated adventure. He just wants people to go for a ride without all the hassle. Get on your bike, ride a bit, camp with your friends and then ride back. In that context, taking a hatchet, if you plan to have a fire, is not as big a deal as with perhaps, a cross country tour. The idea is to have fun, the distance not too great and the available cargo capacity sufficient. Makes more sense, if you are into that sort of thing, when taken in proper context.

Having just returned from two trips to four National Parks in Canada I can say it is in fact illegal to collect twigs and branches from the ground. Firewood is provided in campsites but that is in the form of bucked Lodge Pole Pine in between 4-8" diameter logs. A hatchet might help, though I personally have an SK5 cold steel chopper that I baton to cut wood. Truth be told though, when on a dedicated bike tour I rarely care to have a fire and only take my Mora fishing/utility knife.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 09-22-20 at 12:15 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet: