View Single Post
Old 06-21-21, 09:45 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
23 tooth Rear sprocket

Originally Posted by bassJAM
Hi all, looking for some guidance as I'm a newb on modifying bicycles.

I have two 26" beach cruisers, a Firmstrong and Sixthreezero, both with shimano Nexus 3-speeds. My wife and I use them on the local paved trails, one bike with a kid seat and the other tows a 2-kid trailer. Yeah, we have 3 small kids though the 5 year old just did a 4.5 mile ride yesterday on a Strider pedal bike so her days in the trailer might be behind us once I upgrade her to something better. Anyway, we both use 1st gear 95% of the time, have never gone up into 3rd gear, and there's plenty times I'd love to have lower gearing for hills, sometimes even going flat I'd like lower gearing. We aren't commuting or trying to make great time, these bikes are just used for a leisurely day of riding with the family. My wife used to teach spinning classes and I used to mountain bike so we're used to a much faster cadence than the beach cruiser can offer especially when the trailer has 2 kids, water and maybe a picnic lunch. Sprockets are 40 tooth front and 18 tooth rear right now. I'd like to go down on the front sprocket, but I don't know how much is "enough" to make better use of the 3 speed without going too far.

So looking for guidance on the right tooth count to make a noticeable difference.

Second, how universal are these drive sprockets? What do I need to know to make sure what I buy fits my bikes (understanding I'll have to shorten the chain).
I don't think your chain ring is easily replaced. I would install a larger rear cog. Shimano makes an inexpensive 23T rear sprocket that will reduce your gearing almost a whole gear and is easy to install if you use "Circlip pliers". You can search for "SHIMANO SG-3C40 Nexus Sprocket (23T)". The product description says: "Shimano Alfine and nexus cogs work with either a 1/8 or 3/32 chain. Will also fit any 3 tabbed coaster brake or internally gear hub." You will need a new longer chain, too.

Last edited by Blues; 06-21-21 at 09:49 PM. Reason: grammer
Likes For Blues: