Old 03-09-17, 06:01 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by primo123
Hey guys. I found this thread and wanted to give this a shot. I recently picked up a Diamondback Master TG to build for a buddy. The bike was a 9/10 except the saddle. I went to the local thrift store and picked up a leather jacket for 10 bucks. I also used the 3M Super 77 like OP mentioned.
Well done, looks good. My first recover is going on 8 years old now and doing just great. I've done mine with the same sort of leather as you chopped out of that jacket. I've now done 5 saddles and on my 6th (all Vetta TriShock saddles) and have two 'tips' that have served me well.

On the first one I made a template from a piece of vinyl - shaped and sized just about right to cover the saddle and leave enough, but not too much, material for the job. Easier to handle this without the excess material. Good decision as I've used the template 6 times now to cut the actual leather.

Once I have the leather cut out, I soak it in warm water for a few minutes. Mounted the saddle on a post and secured that upright in the vice. I position, shape and stretch the wet leather over the saddle and hold that down with some weights hanging from the excess (clamps, etc) so it holds the right shape as it dries overnight. Next day remove the shaped leather and further let it dry real well for a day or two. Then glue it down.

I've used 3M spray adhesive too and it works great. However for the underside, securing the 'skirt' folded over the plastic pan, I just use Weldwood contact cement. That has surprised me with how long lasting it is and the contact cement is much easier to control than spray on the underside of the pan.

On my latest re-cover I'm going to experiment a bit. The original Vetta vinyl cover was not glued to the foam . Just the lower edge was glued. So I'm going to try that - just glue the leather around the outside and inside of the plastic pan's edge, using contact cement. Time will tell how that works out. If successful, it would be much less mess than using spray adhesive.

My problem has been how to best fold, tuck and finish the leather at the nose of the saddle. I'm sure there is a better way that will look nice. I'm not there yet. Maybe on my 14th saddle........